Continuing undergraduate students are assigned an enrolment access date and time when they will be able to access the registration and enrolment system (REM) to enrol in courses.
Continuing students usually start enrolling in June/July for Fall/Winter courses, and March for Summer courses.
Important: Continuing students should schedule an academic advising appointment prior to enrolling in courses for an academic session to ensure they are enrolling in the correct courses for their program.
New students typically start enrolling during April/May.
After students have their academic advising appointment, and their enrolment window opens, they should immediately enroll in all of their courses for the upcoming academic session(s). This will guarantee students are enrolled in their required courses for their program and will avoid disappointment in not being able to enroll in required courses due to unavailability of spaces.
Important Information for Economics Majors
The Department initially reserves all courses for ECON majors and will release seats to non-ECON students as the term approaches - if space is available.
All ECON majors should have access to their major courses. If you are having difficulty, it is usually due to a financial block, academic decision, or degree issue. Please contact the Department’s Undergraduate Office with any questions or concerns regarding course enrolment.
If a course is full, but there is physical space in the classroom, students can request permission to enrol from the Instructor up until the last day to add a course with permission. (Refer to Important Dates website https://registrar.yorku.ca/enrol/dates) Students may approach an Instructor with a departmental Permission to Enrol form (available at the Department), which the Instructor may or may not sign. Please note that obtaining permission from the Instructor does not guarantee enrolment into a course.
Important Information for Non-ECON Majors
LA&PS ECON majors have first priority to enrol in ECON courses. If any spaces are remaining closer to the start of ECON classes, these seats may be released to non-ECON majors but there is no guarantee.
The Department continually monitors enrolment and space availability in its courses and where possible will release remaining spaces to non-ECON students.
Non-ECON students are encouraged to keep trying the online enrolment system periodically to enroll in courses as spaces may become available at short notice.
- If emailing the department to request permission for enrolment in a course, please indicate the course number and section, for example, ECON 1000 Section A. Do not provide catalogue numbers.
- Please note that when you are transferring within sections/tutorials in the same academic session, your fees will not be affected. However, if you are exchanging a course after the add/drop deadline, your fees will be affected. Please review financial deadlines.
- If a course is full, please fill out the Department’s Permission to Enrol form (available at the Department) and bring the completed form (with Instructor’s signature) to the Department at 1144 Vari Hall for processing. Please note, the Instructor’s signature does not guarantee space availability.
Course Enrolment Forms
Permission to Enrol Form (only available at the Department of Economics).
When to Use:
- If the course is full.
- During the period to add a course with permission of the instructor. Refer to Important Dates website https://registrar.yorku.ca/enrol/dates
- Bring the completed and signed form to the Department. Remember, obtaining permission of the instructor on the form does not guarantee enrolment in the course.
Once the last date to add a course with permission of instructor has passed, students may still request permission to add an ECON course under special circumstances. Please come to the Department of Economics for assistance. Note: Instructors may hesitate to provide permission to enrol when the course has been running for several weeks and a lot of material may have already been covered in the course.
Petition to Enrol Late Form (available at https://registrar.yorku.ca/pdf/Petition%20to%20Enrol%20Late%20Form.pdf)
When to Use:
- After the last day to enrol with permission of the instructor (refer to Important Dates website https://registrar.yorku.ca/enrol/dates), but before the end of October for Fall courses or the end of February for Winter Term courses. After these deadlines, or if the student does not have the approval of the department and/or instructor, the student must submit a complete petitions package, including this Petition to Enrol Late Form.
- Consult the Department or with an Academic Advisor for petition information.
Please contact the Department of Economics Undergraduate Office with any questions or concerns regarding course enrolment.