Deferred Standing Information

How to Defer an ECON Final Exam or Final Course Work

Students who are unable to write their final exam at the scheduled time or submit their outstanding course work on the last day of the class, may request deferred standing of the final exam or final piece of work in a course. Please see below for information about missing a midterm exam

To Request Deferred Standing of a Final Exam:
  • Students must complete the Final Exam/Assignment Deferred Standing Agreement Form (DSA) accompanied by supporting documentation (see below) and submit to the Department of Economics in 1144 Vari Hall within one week of the original exam date unless otherwise specified by the course director;
  • If the deferred standing request is due to medical reasons, the Deferred Standing Agreement form must be supported by a York Attending Physicians Statement (APS)  completed by a medical doctor or licensed psychologist/counselor. The APS should be completed by the physician within 48 hours of the final exam date.

The Attending Physician's Statement form must include:

  • Full name, CSPO number, mailing address, telephone number of the physician;
  • The nature of the illness and its duration (i.e., specific dates covered by illness)
  • An indication of whether the illness and/or medication prescribed would have SERIOUSLY affected the student’s ability to study and perform over the period in question.

The Department may contact the physician’s office to verify the APS was completed by the physician.

  • For NON-MEDICAL CIRCUMSTANCES: Exams missed due to non-medical circumstances must be supported by appropriate documentation, i.e., death certificates, obituary notice, automobile accident reports, airline/bus ticket receipt for emergency travel (with the date of booking on the ticket), etc. Airline/train/bus ticket/receipts for emergency travel must indicate destination, departure, and return dates. All supporting documents must be in English.
  • Having to work at the time of the exam or non-emergency travel are not valid reasons for missing an exam.
  • This process does not permit rewriting a final exam to improve a final grade.
  • Incomplete forms or missing information may result in the request for a deferred exam to be denied.
  • Submitting the request and documentation does NOT guarantee permission to write the deferred exam. Only submissions that meet all requirements and/or at the discretion of the instructor will be granted permission. Students whose submissions are not granted will receive a zero for their final exam score and have the option to submit a petition through their home Faculty to request deferred standing.
  • Providing false information or documents constitutes a breach of academic honesty.
If a Request for a Deferred Final Exam is Approved by the Department:

If the request is approved, students will be contacted by email by the Department or Course Instructor of the decision. This email will include the new date, time, and location to write the deferred exam.

If a Request for Deferred Final Exam is Denied by the Department:

If the course director denies a request for a deferred exam, students have the option of submitting a petition for deferred standing through their home faculty. Students  in the Faculty of LA&PS are not required to see an Academic Advisor prior to petitioning for deferred standing or extension of deferred standing of a final exam. Economic majors should visit the Department for additional information regarding the submission of the petition.  Students must submit the petition within 14 days of the missed exam.

To Request Deferral of Final Course Work

For outstanding course work, the student and course director can reach an agreement directly for an extension to the course work before the Faculty deadlines.

Procedures for Missing a Mid-term Exam

When students do not or cannot write a mid-term examination (not held during the formal examination period), alternate arrangements to write the mid-term examination should be made within the duration of the course by the course director and individual student at the discretion of the course director. The DSA form is not required for students requesting the opportunity to write a missed mid-term exam.

Students should review their Course Outline for more information specific to the course or speak directly with their Course Director.